Tuesday, September 16, 2008

IKE

We are all OK after IKE! On Wednesday night, after Charles's game, (which they lost by one in overtime) we packed up 2 dogs, 2 cats and a cute baby and started driving north to Midlothian to stay with Mark and Beth. We got there around 4:30 am and got a couple of hours of sleep before the baby woke up. Then we made our way to Granbury to stay with Charles's parents. On Thursday we just hung out and played with the animals and then on Friday we went to visit the great grandmothers. We watched the storm roll through on Friday night. I kept in contact with my family which had stayed at the house. On Saturday morning after everything passed, I spoke to my mom and she said they lost their fence on all sides and there neighborhood had some pretty large trees and tree limbs down. They drove over to our house and we lost our fence and our awning in the backyard was completely mangled up, but we got through it just fine. On Sunday, we packed up and drove home. Going through Houston was weird. There was some pretty bad damage downtown. Buildings with the glass blown out. Of course, no one had power. It looked like a war zone. We got home and accessed the damage ourselves. Our house is fine. We went over to my moms and they already had everything at their house cleaned up and the fence back up for now. They were cooking on the grill outside so we ate dinner there. We then packed up and went to stay at Mark's. His apartment has power. He has a one bedroom apt. though and it was me and Charles and the baby, my mom and dad and Mark and Monique. We had blow up matresses and everything turned out ok. On Monday we hung out at my moms and they grilled again for dinner. Today I am back at work where they have power and internet and just got a text from Charles saying my mom has power back! Now we know we have some place to go if we don't have power back today. The weather is great here and it's very nice. We stayed at our own house last night and it was actually a little chilly. I took lots of pics and will post them when we get power back.

No comments: